The Shobac Campus is a mixture of old and new, as reclaimed historic buildings sit next to modern buildings unified by their material palette. The 1830 Chebogue schoolhouse, the site’s newest acquisition, is an historic building rescued from the community near where architect and owner, Brian MacKay-Lyons was born and raised. The restoration includes the movement of the building and upgrading the materials. The exterior walls are clapboard, there is a cedar shingled roof, and has reused historic windows throughout while the interior floors and wainscoting are 18” wide pine boards. This restored schoolhouse is located on the Shobac Campus adjacent to the historic octagonal Troop Barn which was recently moved to the site and restored in 2009.
From the main level, one can enjoy the pastoral and ocean views surrounding the building. The ‘great room’, containing a kitchen, dining and living areas, maintains the feeling of the original open plan schoolhouse. Original restored wooden benches add authenticity. Ground level amenities include a half bath, state of the art kitchen with European appliances and a large terrace. The second floor has two bedrooms including a bunk room and a luxurious master bedroom. There is also a washer and dryer on the second floor. The master bathroom has windows throughout the room offering vistas over the LaHave Islands.
The building has been fully winterized for year round rentals. The foyer is 180 sq. ft., the ‘great room’ is 500 sq. ft., the bunk room is 120 sq. ft., and the master bedroom is 310 sq. ft.